Portabella Mushroom Pizza Bites – Pizza Without the Carbs!
Welcome Pinterest people! Check out my P.P.P.S. below just for you!! =)
If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a big fan of pizza. For some reason it just seems so special and indulgent to me, perhaps because it has gotten such a bad rap as a junk food. Well, the good news is that there IS a place for pizza in your P90x nutrition plan, even if you’re in Phase 1. And even more so if you can replace the one iffy part of it – the carb base. We Xers are always looking for good food carriers that don’t involve the carbs!
I’ve experimented once before with Portabella mushrooms as a base for yummy protein servings, and it came out fairly well. Since then I’ve always thought that I should try the same thing out with pizza toppings. Well, here we are a year later, and I finally did it. The one hitch was that I couldn’t find full-sized mushroom caps at my store that day. Weird! So I picked out the little guys, and they ended up being cute and filling. They also scream appetizer, so consider these if you’re ever looking for a tasty P90x friendly appetizer for a party. =)
These are a great example of the recipes that are included in my P90x shopping list and menu ebook. =)
Portabella Pizza Bite Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms and scoop out the insides and stem with a spoon.
- Place on baking pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- While mushrooms are baking, grate Mozzarella, and combine in a bowl with one egg white. (Usually low-fat cheese has trouble melting, so this technique helps the cheese melt while adding a bit of protein.)
- Remove mushrooms from oven, and turn the broiler to High.
- On the mushrooms layer pizza sauce, cheese mixture, olives, and pepperoni slices.
- Return pan to oven and broil on High for 3 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.
P90x Nutrition Plan Servings:
6 mushrooms provide 1 1/2 vegi servings, 1/2 protein serving, 1/2 fat serving, 2 dairy servings.
P.S. When cleaning your mushroom, don’t rinse them under water like I did – mushrooms are very absorbent, and I found that mine came out a bit watery. I’ve since learned that you should just brush the dirt off of them with a cloth or paper towel.
For the Pinterest People:
P.P.P.S. Hi Pinterest folks! I’m feeling very flattered that everyone likes this recipe idea so much. Thanks for sharing! If you like this, you might like several of my other recipes:
- If you like these because they are low-carb, healthy, and flavorful, try my Turkey Bacon Wrapped Chicken Shishkabobs.
- If you like these because they are a healthy twist on a comfort food, try my Healthy Mac and Cheese, or my Twice “Baked” Potatoes.
- If you like these because you love mushrooms or are jonesing for pizza, try my Portabella Pesto Mini Pizzas or my Mini Pizza with Homemade Pizza Sauce.
- If you like these because they are portable, try my Muffin Cup Frittatas.
- If you like these because they are cute, bite-sized, and healthy, try my Chocolate-Filled Strawberries.
- If you like them because they are a good idea with a pretty picture, try my Cucumber and Citrus Infused Water or my Tomato, Basil, and Mozzerella Sandwich, or my Black Bean Burgers.
Thanks again, and happy pinning!!
– CJ =)